Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Steering is very hard to turn wheel. I put Greece in two

Customer Question

Steering is very hard to turn wheel. I put Greece in two fittings on side of teleflex shaft, loosened up some. What else
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Is there a grease fitting on the inside of cabinet on the backside of the wheel? What're are all the grease fittings?
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi Scott, my name is Jason.

Is this an outboard powered boat or a sterndrive?

Is the steering hard at all speeds, or is it okay at idle, but stiff when on plane?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Outboard 40hp 1997 hard to steer At all times
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I bought new tubes and I have not been at full speed yet too tough to ateer
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Got it. When you say you bought new tubes, what tubes are you talking about?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a zodiac with fiberglass hull and steering console.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Got it.

If the steering is still stiff it's going to be 1 of 2 problems. Either the steering cable is worn out, and binding internally, or there is corrosion in the pivot tube that the steering cables go through. You have 2 choices as to how you want to approach this. (I understand that time is money, but I do not know which one is more valuable to you).

Choice 1 is to pull the boat form the water, remove the outboard, disconnect the steering cable, pull the cable out of the pivot tube. Clean the inside of the pivot tube with a cordless drill and a 10 gauge shotgun barrel cleaning brush. Grease the cable end, put it all back together, put the boat in the water and see what happens.

Choice 2 is to do all of the above, but replace the cable and helm unit at the same time (the helm is the steering box behind the wheel).

Steering cables are a wear and tear item. Over time they get grooves worn into their inner jackets, and the steel cable core gets pulled into those grooves, causing a bind and tight steering. The cables life expectancy is 12 to 15 years. If you are on the original cable you might just want to replace it first. If you are not sure, and want to try taking it apart first, the cables and helm kits run about 160 to 180 bucks depending on the length that you need. Does that all make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you and Happy 4th!

Jason

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How many grease fittings should I find? I want to make sure that is not it, I did two and it helped alot
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

It would be just the two that you found, and that's it. One thing you want to keep in mind is the pivot tube where the cable goes through gets exposed to a lot of water spray. The tube is just steel, so it will rust internally. Greasing will help, but wether you replace the cable or not, you do have to knock the corrosion out of the inside of that tube.

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi Scott, just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?