Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2003 seadoo gtx 4tec supercharged. Ski ran perfect

Customer Question

I have a 2003 seadoo gtx 4tec supercharged. Ski ran perfect at the lake last week. Had it at the house a few day later and i turned on the garden hose before i started the engine. I didnt realize at the time you shouldn't do that. Any how i ended up with a hydro locked motor. Pulled the plugs and cranked it over. Started it up it ran a few seconds and died. I happened to check the oil (which used to be perfectly clean) and it was milky from the garden hose water i assume. I changed the oil, filter and spark plugs. Ski started up, i let run about 30 seconds. Turned garden hose on. And with endine running i pulled dipstick to take a look and oily water shot out like a fountain from the dipstick hole. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I think that should give you a good idea of whats going on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

The exhaust on the ski is water cooled. when the ski is running, normally there is enough combustion pressure in the exhaust to keep the water out of the cylinders. When you started the water before the ski, you filled the cylinders with water through the exhaust valves. When the engine hydro locked, it could have bent a valve or two and now, there is nothing to stop the water from entering the cylinders. You are going to need to do both a compression test and a leakdown test on the engine. Just to see if the cylinders can make and then hold pressure. If they cannot, you will need to rebuild the upper end of the engine.