Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a mercury verado 250hp engine that is a 2011.today we

Customer Question

i have a mercury verado 250hp engine that is a 2011.today we were out on the engine shut down when put into idle.i noticed that the oil pressure had dropped down to 5psi when it shut down.i have twin 250 verados.i then checked the status of the other engine that was running fine.i had 75psi oil pressure.wehen i ran the boat at about 3500 rpms the port engine had oil pressure of 30 and the starboard had pressure of 70.upon returning to the dock i checked the oilo level in the port motor and it barely registered on the dipstick.motors were fully serviced beginning of season in may.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Remove the spark plugs on the port engine and look to see if any of them are blackened with oil burning. If so, conduct a compression test on the engine. If that comes back good, you will need to look inside the oil cooler to see if there is a broken tube inside it and the oil is escaping the engine that way. There was a bulletin on the engine addressing the sealing of the cooling tubes inside the cooler.