Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2 cycle Nissan 8 HP and it overheated. there was no

Customer Question

I have a 2 cycle Nissan 8 HP and it overheated. there was no water coming out the water port. I stuck a pipe cleaner up the idle port and the intake ports. I now have cold water coming out the water discharge port but I also have hot water coming out the idle exhaust port. I am afraid I may have damaged a gasket and water should not be coming out the idle port.
Is it okay for hot water to be coming out the idle port?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Hello Michael. My name is Tan.

You should have water coming from both. The water coming out of the exhaust port is going to be hot as it is mixed with the exhaust. The idel port will be warm also this water is pulling the heat out of the motor. Once you get running faster the water shoulkd cool down some and when at full throttle it will be warm again. The water will never be cold as this engine has a thermostat that controls the water temp.

If you had damaged the gasket the engine would be running poorly.

Post back if you have questions or concerns.

Happy 4th.

Thank you......Tan