Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Right engine overheat warning light on 1 yr old Yamaha SX210

Customer Question

right engine overheat warning light on 1 yr old Yamaha SX210 - when restarted to initiate landing ran fine and also while flushing the engine.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The boat is a 1 year old Yamaha SX210 - the right engine overheat warning came on and I shut the engine down and checked the intakes - no clogs. Restarted and warning came back on - shut the engine down and ran back to the dock on one engine. Checked under the boat and flushed the engine - could not duplicate the problem.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: that's it i think
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

There are 2 overheat warning systems on each engine. One is for the engine overheat and the other is for an exhaust overheat. Do you know which warning you are getting?

Also, did you happen to notice that while underway, meaning NOT on the flush kit, and when the overheat warning came on were you getting water out of both of the pilot outlet ports on the side of the hull?

Also, for the sake of accuracy, what exact year is your boat?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is a 2014 SX210 - the engine overheat warning was triggered. There is no water coming from one of the pilot tubes.Thanks,
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

This sounds like you have a blockage or restriction in the cooling line between the jet pump and the "Y" joint where the flush kit attaches. Think about that Y as laying on its side with the two legs pointing towards the rear of the boat. The cooling water from the jet pump comes in on one side of the Y and the flush kit comes in on the other. I saw that you stated on the flush kit the engine seems to operate normally. That is a good thing and it also helps us pin down the probable location of the problem.

The best way to attack this is to trace the hose from the flush kit down to the Y and disconnect the hose that is on the other half of the Y. The single end obviously goes to the engine and components for cooling. The point I am trying to make here is to ensure you get the correct hose that is coming from the pump. Once you locate the Y, disconnect the hose and blow through it towards the jet pump. You can use a compressor, but don't hit it with full pressure right off the bat. Try to just bleed a little pressure into the hose at first, to see if you can detect a resistance to flow. Once you get a feel for it, go ahead and increase the pressure. This should clear the line for you. It is quite possible either you have a stick, sand, a shell or something like that lodged in the line.

Let me know if you need any more help.