Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I bought a used 2004 Bayliner 18.5. I've taken it out on the

Customer Question

Hi there, I bought a used 2004 Bayliner 18.5. I've taken it out on the water couple of times and seems to run fine however, the panel gauges don't work . I've check the fuses and they look fine. Any idea what to check next?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

We need to verify we have both positive and negative at the gauges. With a volt meter test for voltage on the purple wire on the gauges. Do you have voltage key on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is the voltage key?
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Do you have voltage on the purple wire key switch in the on position?

The key is the switch you stick the key in and turn to start the engine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
have had it in the on position and have taken the boat out on the water. Other than gauges, runs fine. I've attached a picture of what was connected to battery. Should there be a purple wire on positive post?
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

The purple wire is ignition circuit. No purple on the battery. So you have 12 volts on the purple wire with the key switch turned to the on position? Ok now we need to check for ground on the black or yellow wire at the gauges.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. I'm not by boat today. I'll check tomorrow and let you know
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Since everything else works we must verify that the gauges are getting voltage and ground. This is the only common with all the gauges.

I will be here tomorrow so just post back as you have been and I will get your reply. Thank you.