Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

The hose that is the output to the water pump popped off.

Customer Question

the hose that is the output to the water pump popped off. there was water in the bilge. I re-applied the hose and tightened the clamp. everything seems to be running ok now. Would this be the source of the water in the bilge? should I be concerned about any damage to the engine? I caught after about 20 minutes of running
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Did the engine over heat? This will let water in the bilge. The bilge pump should have kept up with the water. The only thing that could have been damaged is the starter if the water got high enough.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My son (who was driving the boat) said the engine didn't overheat. After he re-attached the hose, and let the bilge pump do its work, the boat appeared to be operating ok. when he brought it back in, the hose seemed hot, although he said max temp on the gauge was 170 degrees F. there did however, appear to be a little overflow of gear oil out of the reservoir just below. not sure if this is related.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

The engine temp is fine. The oil that is over flowing can only be the trim pump and that isn't gear oil it would be trim and tilt fluid. You will need to dump all that oil out as you will have water in the bottom of the reservoir. That also means that is you have water in the trim it will also have gotten in the starter. Is this fresh water or salt?

What is the make of your engine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
fresh water - it's a merc 5.7L EFI
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1998
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the water did not get as high as the reservoir
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok then the starter will be fine just let it dry out before starting the engine to much. Then what reservoir are you referring to that is over flowing?

"appear to be a little overflow of gear oil out of the reservoir just below"

The gear lube monitor should be on top of the engine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gear lube for the I/O drive. Don't have a gear lube monitor - just an alarm.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
alarm did not go off
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Then what is the reservoir you are talking about? The gearlube has a bottle with the gear lube in the bottle? That is called a gear lube monitor.

If the bottle is over flowing the drive is getting very hot or the drive is getting water in the drive causing the bottle to over flow.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think the reservoir I'm referring to is what you're referring to as the gear lube monitor.what would be causing water to get into the drive?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Here is the gear lube monitor. # ***** is the monitor. The alarm is the 2 wires sticking out the bottom of the bottle. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/static/img/COMMON/2285.gif

Is the gear oil milky?

The drive is not related to the water in the bilge.

Bad seals prop shaft seals usually.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gear lube monitor is what overflowed (a very small amount). Planning to take a short trip into the water to see if anything is continuing to leak shortly. Also sounds like I need to at least get it checked out.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Yes you need to have it checked for sure as water in the drive will cause damage to the internals.