Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Have fuel to engine but won't fire now. Ran great the day

Customer Question

Have fuel to engine but won't fire now. Ran great the day before
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Ran great the day before and started the next day after lots of pulling. Ran for a minute then quit. Now won't fire
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What are you working on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Bruce. 15 hp evenrude
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Bruce,

What is the model number on the engine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No sure
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Is this a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? What year is it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2010 not sure if 2 or 4 but takes 50 to one mix
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

OKay its a 2 stroke. Is this tiller control, or remote control with a key switch?

Is the emergency stop switch clip in place?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tiller and the clip is in place. Is there a filter or screen inside to filter gas
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Okay the next step is to either check spark output with a timing light, or see if it will start with starting fluid. Can you do that?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do that later today or tomorrow. Not by motor
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

okay keep me posted

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didnt know you were going to charge me $35.00 for an answer from a mechanic. Didnt help. Not satisfied with the bill
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

You have to consider what it will cost you to take it to a mechanic. They won't look at it today anyway. We have nothing to do with billing we only try to help customers with their engine issues. I don't know what you were expecting but we are allot cheaper than a marine service department that will charge you working on your engine whether they fix it or not. I guarantee we can help you fix your issue but you have to do the checks we ask to find the cause of your engine issue.

Now would you like some help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Good luck with your issue. Happy 4th.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I never talked just chatted how come was charged $35
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Because the mechanic is giving you information on how to trouble shoot your engine issue. If we didn't get paid for talking to the customer why would we be here on a 4th of July?

See if you can even find a shop open on the 4th of July.

Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

The mechanics aren't even guaranteed they will get paid as they get paid when the customer positively rates us. So till the customer rates we get nothing the company keeps the deposit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok just asked
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Have a happy 4th.