Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

1983 Merc 120. I push the trim button, the engine cuts out

Customer Question

1983 Merc 120. I push the trim button, the engine cuts out like its losing electrical power. It also will sputter while motoring around at different speeds. Normally this all happens after the boat has been running for some time. I noticed it tends to "go away" if it cools off a bit. Yesterday I noticed the volt meter spiked just before the engine stalled. Ignition coil (ext resistor) was replaced, no change. Could be a resistor problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you inspected all the engine grounds? Typically this is caused by a bad engine ground stealing voltage from the ignition of the engine.

Is you trim connected directly to the battery?