Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Just bought a V-175 combo. My son t a sandbar with it and

Customer Question

Just bought a V-175 combo. My son hit a sandbar with it and now the speedometer isn't working. I'm guessing there is a port that senses water pressure and transforms that via a transducer to the dial. Have any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

On the front edge of the lower unit is a small hole that gets clogged up when you hit debris or run aground. Locate the hole and get a small piece of wire and clean the dirt out of the hole. This will fix the speedo. The hole is at the very front of the lower unit towards the bottom just above the bullet of the lower unit.

Post back if this doesn't solve the issue. Here is a pic of the location.

Thank you.......Tan.