Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I was taking my boat out of the water. Shifter stuck in

Customer Question

I was taking my boat out of the water. Shifter stuck in forward.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Four winns, horizon 180 le with Volvo penta sx
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Nope,that's it. Might have shifted a bit fast but nothing too extreme. Btw, this is a ne shifter and cables
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Did the control function correct that day?

What control did you install in the boat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Charles, yes it did work correctly this morning. I'm unsure or the mfg of the control. No marking or name on it. Is was installed in April this year. Only had it out twice since installation.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Disconnect the shift cable from the bracket on the engine. Then see if the handle will come back or not. We need to know if it is the control or in the drive.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had the luck of having a mechanical engineer with me. He tore it apart and immediately saw where a brass tod had popped out of the crappy plastic retainer, spreading the locking tabs apart. We Jimmy urged a steel wire to hold it in place until I can find a better mfg for a new shifter. Thanks for the help you did provide. Can you give me any advice on a better stronger made snifter that is t filled with crap plastic??
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

All Mercury controls are made with all metal internal parts. Mores are not bad and less expensive, but I do not prefer them.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mine is Volvo penta. Can I put a merc shifter in?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Yes, just pay attention to who yours shifts, either push or pull. Attach the cables in the correct places on the Merc arms.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Awesome. Thanks again. Any pointers on buying the shifter? I'm not boat savy, my first one and it's a 1999
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

The 4500 series works best. you also may need to replace the control cables and use adapters. If your current cable ends are universal type they should work. the Gen II box is longer and requires special cables, so you may not want that one.