Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Flywheel is shot on1988 4.3 engin. can i pullengin without

Customer Question

flywheel is shot on1988 4.3 engin. can i pullengin without removing outdrive unit
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Roger, my name is Jason.

Technically you could remove the engine without removing the drive. However, the correct way to do it would be to pull the drive first, then the engine. The reason being is when you go to install the engine back into place, you have to align the engine to the sterndrives input shaft. This is a very precise alignment procedure that is done with a machined tool called an alignment bar. If the alignment is not perfect, the engine can blow what is called the coupler. The coupler is what the input shaft slides into. It can also put undue stress on the gimbal bearing. If the coupler lets go when you are out on the water, you will be dead on the water. So while it technically could be done, it's not advisable. Does that make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I think that about covers it, but I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason