Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a xlt 1200 that I had in storage winter, 1/2 tank gas

Customer Question

I have a xlt 1200 that I had in storage for the winter, 1/2 tank gas with fuel stablizer, changed the plugs and gaped to .44 starts but feels like it is starved for fuel give it throttle it cugs and dies or takes off at a slower rate. throw the fuel away and start over?
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I do not think the fuel is your problem. If you are concerned, for the sake of easing your mind, it certainly isn't going to hurt anything. I would suggest checking the fuel filter for water in the bottom of the bowl however. It is not a good idea to store with a half tank of gas. This allows room for condensation to accumulate in the fuel tank. You should either fill it to the top or drain it dry.

That not withstanding, I would also suggest an easy test. Pull all 3 spark plugs again and inspect them for color on the tips. Mainly we want to see them all about the same color. If you find any deviation, meaning 1 of the 3 is noticeably different than the other 2, let me know. Put the plugs back in the caps and lay them on the cylinder head. DO NOT have them over the open spark plug holes! If the engine blows fuel out the plug holes and the spark plug sparks, it will ignite the fuel and that can be bad for you, burn wise.

Make sure all 3 spark plugs are sparking. If they are, it sounds like we have a carburetion problem. You did not state the year of your XLT. They made some significant changes that can affect the diagnosis and repair process. Please state the year of your Wave Runner when you respond.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Check fuel filter for water in the bottom of the bowl, Location?
Put the plugs back in the caps, means spark plug wires, lay on cylinder head make sure all 3 spark plug are sparking meaning hit the starter button to check for spark?
Age early 2000
Will have to address in Am it's 9:30 pm and dark
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Yes, you are correct in your deductions.

If it is an early 2000's model, it is going to be the 155 HP model.

To access the fuel filter you will need to remove the seat then look towards the front of the cut out for the engine compartment. Just underneath that edge you will see the fuel filter/water separator.

Here is a parts diagram that shows what the filter looks like, it is #7 in the diagram.

You may need to use a screwdriver to carefully pry the fuel lines off the filter. Try to do this without shaking the filter too much. If it gets shook up and it had water in it, it will temporarily mix with the gas. If you suspect it did get shaken up in the removal process, just let it sit for about 15 minutes undisturbed then carefully pick it up and look for water in the bottom of the filter. Water will appear to look like air bubbles laying on the bottom because the water is heavier than the gas and will sink once it separates again.

Remember when testing for spark, make sure that the spark plugs are away from the open spark plug holes in the cylinder head. If they are close to the spark plug holes it will ignite the fuel and cause a ball of fire. With a reasonable level of caution, this is not a dangerous test. Follow my suggestions and you will be fine.

If you have any more questions or are unsure of exactly what my suggestions are or what they mean, please stop and ask me. Your safety and satisfaction are of paramount importance to me.