Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

1989 mariner 100. Always Use 93 octane in it. Had it years.

Customer Question

1989 mariner 100. Always Use 93 octane in it. Had it for 2 years. Started running rough and would not low idle. Changed plugs and fuel filter. Now will not start. Only way it will run is if you unhook the fuel line from the tank, then it runs until the carbs run out of gas. Hook the fuel line back up and crank it a couple times then unhook the fuel line again and it will start. I pump the bulb until it is pretty firm.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Want to clarify: unhooked the main fuel line from the tank to the motor from the motor side.
Also Double checked fuel filter for proper installation. Checked plugs and wires for security. The boat is a 30' pontoon.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

If it runs better/longer with the fuel line disconnected what that tells me is that the carburetors have dirty inlet valves, and the carbs are flooding out with the fuel line connected because the carb has no way to keep that fuel from coming in. The fix would be to have the carbs rebuilt by somebody qualified to do so. Does that make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

I think that should do it, but I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.