Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Tan it's the sea Ray guy again. So I'm having an

Customer Question

Hey tan it's the sea Ray guy again. So I'm having an issue with my outdrive gear oil. It seems to be building up pressure, I'm guessing water getting in the outdrive from somewhere. I just pulled the boat out of the water and bringing to my shop to start to pull apart the outdrive. Any ideas on what I should look for first?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hell.

I would drain the lube then pressure test the drive to 11 psi. The areas for concern are the drive shaft seal, water pump seal, propshaft seal, yoke seal and the shift rod seal.

The immediate seals you can see are the propshaft and yoke seal. If it does have a leak and you don't see anything visual that leaves the other seals. I would just reseal the entire drive. If one fails the others could be right behind it.