Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I just bought a new mercury 15hp 4 stroke and had the dalier

Customer Question

I just bought a new mercury 15hp 4 stroke and had the dalier sintal on a Lund boat. When I went to start it 1,000 miles north of the border, the electric start started fine, the trim works, but the motor will not shift out of neutral. (no forward or reverse) Any idea's why this would not work? We are ready to go fishing but no forward or reverse on our motor?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Is the shift on the side of the motor or on the handle?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This shifting in on the handle. It will not shift out of neutral even after starting. Starts good (electric start) trim works, but does not shift to forward or back
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

With the engine off, try to turn the throttle handle to shift. You may need to rotate the prop slightly to align the gear and clutch. See it the shift is now smoother or not.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The Lund boat was originally going to be a Kicker motor running from the front steering column and a separate throttle. I told the dealier when they installed the motor that I wanted to run the motor from the back of the boat manually from the motor arm and not from the front from the separate throttle and steering column. They disconnnected all of that and now the motor starts electrically, trim works, but it will not shift manually.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The throttle handle is in the neutral or start position. it just will not rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise to the forward or reverse. Do you think I need to move the prop position manually?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

If you can turn the throttle handle more than just slightly, try to move the prop and see if this makes any difference. Do you have the serial number of the engine?