Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2005 175 hp... Just got it... Sitting years... Ran when

Customer Question

2005 175 hp... Just got it... Sitting for 4 years... Ran when parked... Engine turns over, no fuel going into cylinder, no fire on plugs... New plugs...
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kill switch is connected... How can I bypass to see if that is grounded out or something
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I sprayed a ton of gum out in it trying to see if there is something blocking.... If the kill switch is shorted will that also stop the fuel pump or something? Seems like no fuel in cyl and no spark on plug
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

How are you testing for spark on the engine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Bottom of plug on the block, turn over engine... No fuel going into cyl as well
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

not the spark plug, the test port fir the air. lower schreader valve in the fuel rail.

Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, that was for a different customer. On the powerpack on the rear of the engine, locate the black and yellow wire. Disconnect it and test for spark again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok will do in the morning and get back to you thanks... How about the fuel issue?
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

the carbs are most likely gummed up from the sitting. spraying a product down the throat will not clean them. you will need to remove them, open them up, remove all jets from the carb. using a good quality carb cleaner and compressed air, totally clean the carbs out. Reassemble them using new o-rings and needles.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did not see a black and yellow wire on a separate plug or anything . Is it a wire that goes directly into the cylinder head?
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

It goes to the powerpack that is on the rear of the engine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will circle back later I have now gone on vacation away from the boat. Thx
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

No worries. There are no time limits here. Have a safe trip. Talk to you when you return.

Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. Have you tried to test for spark again?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
still no fire. we checked voltages at power pack and its like 6.7v , 2v... weird stuff... battery is hot. we are thinking it may be a bad ground at the harness up front? next plan is to bypass harness and do a remote starting rig at the motor?
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

if it will not spark with the harness to the boat unplugged, test the voltage coming from the stator, and the timer base. There are just those 3 items before the coils.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can unplug the harness and it may fire?
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Yes it should. You will need to jump the starter solenoid to get it to crank over.