Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Boat motor got wet (drain plug). 1999 Mercruiser 5L ran

Customer Question

boat motor got wet (drain plug). 1999 Mercruiser 5L ran bilge. boat turns over and over but won't fire. pulled plugs and distributor cap, then turned over to make sure no water in cylinders. tested and getting spark. no kill switch issue. can hear fuel pump priming when turning key thinking maybe oil pressure switch?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: that's pretty much it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine serial number please? Does engine start briefly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not in front of it now. It's a Mercruiser 5,0L in a Bayliner Capri 2050SS. It will not start at all. It just turns over.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok if you have good spark and compression that leaves only on e thing fuel. If the oil pressure switch were the problem the engine would start and run then die. Remove the flame arrestor and look down the carb and have a friend pump the throttle a couple of times. Do you see fuel? With the throttle fully advanced do you see fuel puddled down in the carb on the bottom of intake manifold?

Do these checkes when you get a chance and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do you have any thoughts?
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

I'm a slow typist.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got it. I will give it a try tomorrow morning. Are we thinking fuel pump? I could hear the pump priming when I turned the key and hit the throttle, but I will look in the carb tomorrow. Thank you.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

When you can hear the fuel pump they are usually working. But that doesn't mean it is pumping fuel to the carb if the anti siphon valve is a problem or the fuel filter is full of water or something is preventing fuel from getting to the pump and carb.