Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1959 Craft that has been sitting 20 yrs in a

Customer Question

I have a 1959 Chris Craft that has been sitting for about 20 yrs in a garage. The gas that was in the gas tank dried up and left a residue. how do I clean it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan. Put fuel with ethanol in the tank and let is sit for a few days this will soften the old fuel. The ethanol acts like a solvent and will dissolve old fuel residue. If you can slosh the fuel around this will help also. I would let the fresh fuel sit in the tank for awhile to let it break up the pold fuel residue. After it has sat for awhile pump tank and inspect. If still dirty repeat the process.

If the tank has rust in the tank don't bother cleaning just replace the tank.

Does this make sense?