Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My ID and Account Numbers are: 16158307-640, and 93603272.

Customer Question

Jason
We communicated back in March about engine problems on my boat in Michigan. I was in Florida at that time. I have returned and done some work on my problem and had a mechanic do some work also. I hope you can still access our previous discussions but, to review, the boat engines are Crusader gasoline engines made from 1979 (or thereabout) Chevy 305 (or 307) blocs. The engines were getting plenty of spark but fuel was not getting to the carb (on either engine). Both engines are fed from one gas tank. You suspected a possibility of bad gas but I tested that and the gas is OK. The mechanic found an air leak at the in-line filter to the starboard engine and replaced the in-line filters with more up-to-date filters on both engines. Now the starboard engine runs well. The port engine starts right up and runs ok as long as I leave it in idle. As soon as I rev it slightly above idle speed, it dies right out (as if it ran out of gas) I just had the carb on that engine rebuilt last fall. I'm at a loss to determine what to do next. Any ideas? Please help. I'm flumoxed.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Gerry, has the engine been compression tested yet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought I did last Fall but I don't remember the results and I can't find the results I wrote down. Maybe I left them at the boat but I'm home now. The boat is two hours away. I hope to get there later this week. I sort of remember the compression test results were not perfect but not alarming.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I need the actual numbers. I also need to know every thing you have done to the engine as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. I'll get you those numbers in a few days. So far, I have replaced both fuel pumps and fuel lines. I have had the carb on the port engine rebuilt. Both in-line filters have been replaced.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Has had a tune up yet? Cap rotor plugs and wires? As well as cleaning the spark arrestor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cleaned the flame arrestor. No rotor. I have not changed the plugs and wires.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

If you do not know the last time the engine had a tune up you would want to change those items. If there is an issue with the cap, rotor, plugs or wires not all cylinders might not be firing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. I hope to get those things done this week. Got to go now. I'd like to get back with you next week to report my results. Thanks for the help. Gerry
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Sounds good Gerry, let me know what happens.