Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Boat troubleshooting, engine miss, 1996 Sanger V 210 with

Customer Question

Boat troubleshooting, engine miss, 1996 Sanger V 210 with MIE 454 magnum MPI. The engine miss started during left turns only, very predictable, when starting from straight and initiating a left turn with consistent power and turn rate, the miss happens consistently at almost the exact same time during each turn, maybe 2 seconds into the turn with maybe a 30˚ turn before the miss. Its not like a little misfire but more like the ignition was shut off for less than a second, runs smooth and strong before and after the miss, no backfires or popping. No issues with right turns or straight. That was at first, the problem has progressed and now happens during straight acceleration. Smooth and strong until 2,800. through 3,200. then the same miss, like the key shuts off for less than a second. Continued acceleration above 2,800 RPM has moments of smooth and strong between misses. So far, I have checked for water in the fuel filter and tank and none found. The plugs, harness, rotor and cap were replaced last year and all look good. I have put a voltmeter on the 12 volt side of the coil with the engine off and wiggled every wire that I could get my hands on in the engine compartment and under the dash including ignition switch and the voltage did not vary. I have wiggled all the same stuff with the engine at idle and no engine miss. I have looked carefully for chaffed wires or loose ground and all look good. I watched the voltage with a digital meter under power during the engine miss and it only varies maybe a couple hundredths of a volt like it probably should with the alternator spooling down. My old Chevy mentality is running out of ideas and I'm suspicious of a sensor that effects the electronic fuel injection but I need advice on what to do next. If advice leads to a fix, happy to pay after the resolve is confirmed with a successful test run. Thank You, ***** *****
Category: Boat
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

In some cases this may be an issue with fuel not making it to the engine when turning due to a restriction when turning or possibly debris in the tank.I have also seen issues with damaged wiring that can short or arc when turning and cause this fault here as well.I would have these checked into further here to see if any of these are the cause here and from there then repaired to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete