Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Sorry about yesterday. 1197 CELEBRITY with 200hrs. all but 2

Customer Question

Sorry about yesterday. 1197 CELEBRITY with 200hrs. all but 2 gauges work fine.Temp wont go to 165. stays at 120.Volts drops when I give gas.The 2 gauges started the problem at the same time.New alternator checked and 2 new batterys.4 gauges r side by side. The 2 n the middle r the problems.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Check that you have good tight connections at the gauge. Check for proper voltage at both gauges around 12 volts. Then check that you have a good ground.

Loose connections can cause your issue. Be sure the brown wire on the temp sender is clean and tight.

As for the engine temp if the gauge stays on 120 no matter what we need to check that the gauge isn't the problem. Locate the brown wire on the gauge and then with a jumper wire touch ground to the brown wire terminal key on. The gauge needle should peg. Do these checks and post back with findings.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not at boat may b 2 or 3 days. THANK U very much Tan. Mark Catsban
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok Mark that's fine I'll be here. Be sure all your battery cable connections are clean and tight at the battery and the engine.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Tan everything is clean and tight on gauges.I jumped the brown wire on the temp gauge and it went to 160, the first time its been off the 120 degree mark but did not go all the way up.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok the gauge should peg to one side or the other. If it doesn't the gauge is bad and the reason it isn't reading correctly.

That is putting a ground to the brown terminal on the gauge.