Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1988 Mastercraft Prostar 190 w/Ford 351 engine.

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Mastercraft Prostar 190 w/Ford 351 engine. When I turn the key to the accessory position a high pitched whistle begins. But, when I continue turning the key, nothing happens. No start, no starter noise, no clicking, no noise or action,,, except the high-pitched whistle.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I checked power to the starter. It has power
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

We need a volt meter to do some voltage tests.

Do you have a meter?

Do the gauges come on when key is in on position?

Is the control in neutral?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I verified power to the starter and the relay. I also replaced the old relay.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All gauges are active
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried to check the kill switch to verify there was no problem there (the button that connects to life jacket by a cord). I don't think it's an issue.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a volt meter, yes.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

The kill switch has nothing to do with the engine cranking it is ignition.

We need to test for voltage on the yellow/red wire on the key switch with switch in the crank position. Do you have voltage? If yes then go to the start relay and with a jumper wire jump 12 volts to the yellow/red terminal at the relay. Does engine crank?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, when I get home tonight I will try this. Can I reach out to you again tomorrow, Tan? Thanks!
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Absolutely. You could have a bad key switch or a bad neutral safety switch. You have eliminated the start relay/solenoid. So you results will tell me which.

Thank you.Tan Talk tomorrow.