Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1998 120 hp Mercury on a 17 ft Champion boat. It

Customer Question

I have a 1998 120 hp Mercury on a 17 ft Champion boat. It starts and idles fine but it just sputters when I give it has to get on plane. I had this issue when the boat and motor were new. Mercury ended up replacing the power head. All was okay.
Summer 2014- carb kit. Same issue resurfaced. Dealer kept trying to fix it and finally, it started working again. I don't know why and neither does the dealer.
Now- I've had the boat out several times this year without problem until now. The old issue is back. Replaced plugs. Nothing. It's getting gas and firing on all 4 cylinders when not in gear or in a tank, but the second two cylinders won't fire under load. Please help!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Steve, my name is Jason.

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get the serial on your engine so I can look up and see which one you are talking about?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Are you still with me Steve?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have that info handy and the boat is at a shop that can't figure it out.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Can you call the shop and get the serial from them. Without it I simply do not know what you have.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Steve. Any luck on that serial?