Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2003 sea ray 225 weekender. the problem I am having

Customer Question

hi
I have a 2003 sea ray 225 weekender.
the problem I am having is when I load the boat with 6 people the boat doesn't plan and I cruis 10 mile an hour. but if have only 4 people than it plan no problem and I can cruis 35 miles no problems.
the boat is rated for 8 people 1400 pounds.
what is wrong with my boat . please help
thanks
isaac
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Isaac, my name is Jason.

Which engine is in the boat?

How many RPMS does the engine make with just 2 or 3 people in it, and the boat at maximum speed?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi Jason
5.0L 220hp
4000 rpm
with 4 people top speed is 35 mils
but with 7 people top speed is 10 mils
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

4000 rpms is the top RPM with a few people in the boat, that is correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need to be between 4400 to 4800 rpm
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Yes correct. What is the history on this engine, have you ever seen it make full power personally? (4400 to 4800 at top speed)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no
I bought the boat 2 month ago
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Is it fuel injected or carbureted?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
carburetor
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Did you have the engine compression tested before you bought it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Right now the engine is down on power. It should be as close to possible at 4800 rpms when the boat is at top speed. There are number of things that can cause his. Did you have any specific or general questions that you wanted me to answer? Or did you want me to explain how we troubleshoot engines that are down on power, step by step, covering all bases?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Did you want to do this over the phone, it typically goes a lot quicker.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want the problem to be gone in my boat I always have 7 to 8 people I want to fix the problem .
someone told me that I may have the wrong prop for it.
I need answer to fix this problem.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

When you say that it won't start. Is the engine turning over but not starting? Or does not turn over at all when you turn the key?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for any confusion, that last reply was meant for somebody else.

I need answer to fix this problem.

The problem is you have 2 different problems. The first one is the engine is not making full power, and that needs to be figured out first. Only after that is figured out can you work on if you also need a new propeller or not.

This is going to take lots of troubleshooting in order to figure out why the engine is not making full power. Was that something you were looking to do?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please just tell me what to do. step by step
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Okay give me 10 minutes or so to get you something typed up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks
in the mean time I will be stepping out the office for a meeting I will get back to you as soon as I am done.
isaac
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

The engine needs 3 things to both run and make full power. What it needs is compression, timed spark ignition (spark happening at the right time) and the proper ratio of fuel to air.

When I get engines in the shop that do not make full power, this is what I do to troubleshoot them, I also do it in this specific order in order to both be thorough and keep from making mistakes.

What I start with is engine compression and spark tests.

1. Compression test. Results need be 100 psi or better, all cylinders should be within 10-15% of eachother. If any cylinder is under 100 psi it is either worn out, or has a valve problem, and the heads will need to come off and the valves inspected next. A healthy engine will read in the 140 to 160 psi range.

2. Spark test. The easiest thing to do here is to hook up a timing light to each plug wire one at a time and see if the light flashes or not. Flash means spark, no flash means no spark. No spark can be something as simple as a bad spark plug, that was dropped on the floor before you got it, or a bad plug wire. If you get no spark on any cylinder then the engine is not running on all cylinders. Most people will elect for a tune up at this point and replace the cap,rotor, plugs and wires.

3. If compression and spark are good, make sure the fuel filters are all changed. Some engines will have up to 3 fuel filters on them. With 1 large canister filter in the front, followed by paper filters in the carb and fuel pump.

4. Next is to get a small outboard tank (like a 3 gallon) and fill it up with known new fresh gas and try it. If the engine runs better on the portable tank there is an issue with the boats tank, this can be a blockage or air leak in the fuel pickup and related hardware on the boats tank and related lines.

5. If no change, next is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge between the pump and carb. Fuel pressure needs to be in the 3 to 7 psi ballpark at max speed. If it's not, the fuel pump is weak and needs to be changed out.

6. Lastly, if you got this far and the engine STILL is not running correctly, everything else has been ruled out at this point, and the problem is inside of the carb. The carb will need to be either rebuild, or replaced (depending on how nasty it looks inside)

If the troubleshooting is done in that order, and no steps are skipped, the root cause will ultimately be found. Also keep in mind there is always a chance there is more than 1 thing wrong with the engine. So if for example if you pull apart the fuel pump and change the filter inside of it, and it looks nasty but the boat still does not run correctly, try not to get discouraged. The older the boat is the odds of it having more than one problem goes up. I couldn't tell you how many engines I have worked on that have come in and the boat has bad gas in it, all the filters are trashed, the ignition system needs a tune up, and the carb is clogged as well. It definitely does happen.

Does that all make sense to you? If yes, do you have any other questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Was there anything else?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks
I will get back to you
isaac
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome. Please do not forget to rate my service, it is the only way the website credits me for helping you out.

Best,

Jason