Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1992 40 hp evenrude model ve40tlenm on my pontoon.

Customer Question

i have a 1992 40 hp evenrude model ve40tlenm on my pontoon. I have lost forward. It will still move in reverse only. As we were cruising along it just reved up and came to a stop.On dry land if you put it in to reverse (not running)the prop is hard to manually turn. In forward it turns easy but roughly. What is broke?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Doug, my name is Jason.

Are you near the boat now for a quick test?

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Are you still with me Doug?

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

It looks like you are having a hard time responding back to me. You can give customer service a call at 1(###) ###-####and they can walk you through how to use the website over the phone.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm back. It kept saying credit card error but I got it cleared up. Are you available now?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Doug. I'm here. Are you near the boat for a test?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Do this, with the engine off. Push the shifter lever all the way forward. Try to turn the prop counter clock wise. Let me know if it turns, or if you can not turn it. If you can turn it... Let me also know if the propeller shaft spins at the same time, or if the propeller is spinning, but the shaft is not.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As I mentioned in my original question..it turns but not smooth and yes the shaft turns with the propeller
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

The propeller turns counter clockwise when in forward is that correct? If yes, is it spinning freely or does it have resistance?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that is correct. It has very little resistance but it won't spin smoothly
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

What you want to do next is disconnect the shift cable from the engine, and shift it by hand to make sure it's fully engaging forward gear. Can you do that next and let me know if it's still the same thing after you shift it by hand.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tinkered with the linkage but it still wouldn't kick in but I will go try it again
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Okay

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I unfastened the linkage and turned it all of the way and still nothing
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Just to make sure... There are 2 plugs on the lower unit. There is the gear lube plug, and there is the shift cradle pin plug. Are you positive that you removed the gear oil plug and not the shift cradle pin plug?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the lower one to drain it. I had the shift cradle pin plug out also awhile back.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Okay, at this point there is something broken inside of the lower unit. The lower unit needs to come off and then attempted to shift by hand. Is that something you are looking to get into?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is why I drained the oil but then I thought I better check first to maybe save me some time
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Do you know how to take the lower off or do you need instruction on that?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can do it but it would be better for me if I could do it this evening. How long am I able to have your Q&A available? Also do I need to pull the shift cradle pin out to remove the lower unit?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

There are no time limits here. And no, you definitely do not want to pull the cradle pin out.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will try to get to it in a little bit. I had the cradle pin out because I noticed a little oil coming out but it wouldn't tighten anymore it would just turn like the last thread is stripped. I wonder if this is where the little bit of water is coming in at?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

If it's stripped and not sealed water will get in through the plug

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would that have had anything to do with this problem?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Has its shifted properly since you removed and reinstalled the shift cradle pin?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it did
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Then it shouldn't be an issue

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I got the 4 bolts out now what do I do?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is someone available to continue to help me? My question has not been answered.