Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

My boat runs great 20 minutes.After that it will severely

Customer Question

my boat runs great for about 20 minutes.After that it will severely misfire during acceleration.Wondering if the mechanical fuel pump could be weak.1982 ski nautique with 350 chevy block.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Barry, my name is Jason

It very well could be a weak pump, it could also be an issue with the tank, either building up a vacuum internally or having some junk floating around in the bottom of the tank clogging the pickup intermittently. What we would do in the shop if you brought the boat to me is run it on a portable tank first and see if the problem duplicates itself or not. If it does not duplicate, and if it runs better on the portable tank, then the problem is in the boats fuel tank. If no change, the next step is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge between the carb and pump, and check fuel pressure. It needs to be 3 to 7 psi at any rpm. Does that make sense to you? If yes, did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I think that should do it, but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you