Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2008 3.0l mercruiser with TKS will not start without pumping

Customer Question

2008 3.0l mercruiser with TKS will not start without pumping throttle or at least at fast idle position ?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: motor started easy TKS for years , now it takes more throttle seems flooded at times and needs pumping at other start attempts ?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: tune-up items new , motor was overheated last year has new water pump now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Good morning my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The correct way to start the engine would be to put the handle into neutral, give it 2 full pumps, bring the handle back to about the 1/3rd open position, and turn the key to start. Are you near the boat to try starting it that way?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

It looks like you had a chance to read my reply. Are you near the boat to give this a shot?