Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Does not immediately engage in drive. have to rev throttle

Customer Question

does not immediately engage in drive. have to rev throttle and it drops into drive hard
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: it is a Volvo penta gl sx. five litre. eight cylinders
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: not that I am aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

You will need to adjust the shift cable going to the drive. It has stretched and just needs to be realigned basically.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I forgot to mention that it engages in reverse properly? Also is stern drive oil the marine equivalent to automatic transmission fluid? Could this be the issue as well?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does the boat have to be out of the water to adjust the shift cable? Will I damage the transmission operating the boat prior to adjusting the shift cable?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

No, the boat does not have to be out of the water. Yes you can damage the gear housing shifting when the engine revs are high.