Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 2014 4 cycle 20 HP Mercury outboard. I bought it a

Customer Question

I have a 2014 4 cycle 20 HP Mercury outboard. I bought it a month ago with about 10 hours on it. when I took it out the first time it ran flawlessly. This week when I took it out it ran fine for a few minutes, then wouldn't accelerate past about half way, even though the throttle was wide open. I then noticed a hold in the fuel line. I stopped the motor and removed the line where the hole was. The motor started with the shorter line, but wont run past half throttle. And the choke must be fully engaged. It runs fine at half throttle with the choke fully engaged now. What could be the issue?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Has the engine been sitting for some time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was sitting for about a year.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, what you have is a stopped up carb. the jets inside this carb are very small, they can varnish very easily. You will need to remove the carb, take it apart, clean all of the jets and the passages, put it back together then go and test run the engine.