Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1990 Bass Tracker and boat goes forward in neutral

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Bass Tracker and boat goes forward in neutral and reverse. When I put the boat in in forward it is fine however when I put it into neutral and reverse it goes forward. How can I fix this? It is a 1990 60HP Johnson pro series engine. Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you pulled the motor cover off and checked that the shift linkage is actually moving?

Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Could I get the engine model number also please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
engine cover is off and lineage is moving. I do not know where to find model number??
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

The model number will be on the swivel bracket or clamp port side of the motor. http://assets.suredone.com/1747/media/evinrude-serialnum-photo1-520x449.jpg

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model # *****
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok in the shift arm circled in red there is a clip blue arrow that needs to be in the hole in shift arm yellow arrow.

Is that pin in place?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

The only thing left it can be is the lower unit. Do this remove the shift cable from the shift linkage on the engine. Now shift the engine by hand. Forward the prop should lock rotating the prop CCW then free spin neutral and lock when in reverse spinning the prop CW.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. That worked. The lower arm isn't switching back from forward to reverse. It is just sticking but it shifts fine when done by hand. It must be the cable or something.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Do this put engine in neutral then shift to for and measure the travel from neutral to for. Then do the same thing with the control and cable. Do they move the same distance?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The top Arm is moving the same distance as the shifter in forward and reverse. However the lower arm that moves it to neutral, forward, and reverse doesn't move at all.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is. I'm thinking the cable is the problem. Because the cable that moves top arm moves slightly when I shift into forward and reverse. However the cable that moves the lower arm doesn't move at all when I shift
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Yep that's the problem the cable is broken or the gear in the control is broken. With the shift cable removed pull on the cable will it pull out?

Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Thank you.......Tan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The cable won't pull out. Sorry had to step away
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok since the cable isn't shifting we need to go into the control. Does the cable move in and out when you shift the control?

Both cables should move.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Only one cable moves. Which moves the top arm. The lower arm cable doesn't move
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok the cable is broken or the control is broken.

You will have to remove the remote control disassemble.