Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1992 9.9 hp evenrude motor that ran fine minutes,

Customer Question

I have a 1992 9.9 hp evenrude motor that ran fine for 20 minutes, shut it off, went to restart it 10 minutes later and cannot get it started. Pulled the spark plugs, they were dry & primer ball gets hard when I pump it.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Held the spark plugs up against the motor and they do have spark
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the model number on the engine?

Did you check for spark output when the engine did not start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
put the spark plug up against the block.
unfortunately I do not have the model number
when pulled the spark plug to check the spark, they
were dry
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
gave it a quick shot of starting fluid, did not help
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
by the way, my name is Bryan
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Bryan, holding the plug up to the block is not the correct way to check for spark. To properly check for spark you would hook up a timing light to a plug wire, crank the engine over, and see if the light flashes or not. Do you have a timing light to double check this?
A

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not near the motor at this time. Yes, I can check it the way you describe
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Do you want to double check it and get back to me, or what would you like to do?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How does it work? Can I get back to you tomorrow? Do I ask for you specifically? What is the fee for calling you
back tomorrow?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Just reply back here tomorrow. Your messages come straight to me. There are no extra fees unless you need a phone call or something like that.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh good. Will get back to you sometime tomorrow, when I am near the motor. Thank you, Bryan
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

You bet. We'll talk then.

-Jason