Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Yamaha 200 HP it is a 06 model Staring marking a squeeling

Customer Question

Yamaha 200 HP it is a 06 model Staring marking a squeeling nise when it is idle in gear
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Then clunking noisel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the model number on the engine? What kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
not sure on the number i can go get if you can wait
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

I'll be here. I need the model just to know what you have.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
6 P5 V MAX HPDI VZ200TLR(###) ###-####not sure witch you need
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

VZ200TLR

That is the model number.

The next question is how is it I can help you, what kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It Started Squealing at idle in gear
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Add clunking
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

I understand that, but I am not there to see the engine, and my ears don't work through the internet. You have to pinpoint where the noise is coming from before figuring out what might be causing it.

Is the noise coming from the engine block? Is it coming from the HPDI pump? Is it coming from the lower unit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sounds like on top of the motor
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Remove the top cowling and do a visual inspection of the engine block. Make sure that there is no damage to it. Then, remove all 6 spark plugs and do a compression test on the engine. Each cylinder should be over 90 PSI and all be even. If one is really low, that cylinder has a wear issue that would need to be addressed. If they are all the same, return the plugs and start the engine on a hose. Listen to the engine and see if the noise if coming from the fuel pumps. If so, they will need to be removed and serviced.