Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

The engine alarm was going off engine. The temp was at Close

Customer Question

The engine alarm was going off for one engine. The temp was at Close to 200°. We turn the engine off and tried to restart it. We were getting a decent amount of smoke out of the exhaust and the engine wouldn't restart.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No, I think that's it. Thanks!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello Mike. My name is Tan.

It is possible that you have a blown head gasket on the engine. When was the last time you had the water pump serviced?

Can you do a compression test?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We jus bought The boat and had it surveyed. The engines checked out perfectly and we also have the oil changed before we put the boat in the water. This was about a week ago. I'm not that familiar with boat engines and I don't know how to do a compression test. Is it something that's easy to do? Also is there a chance that we flooded the engine and with this explain why we couldn't restart it?
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

It is possible you flooded the engine. Have you checked for spark? If you have spark and fuel the engine should run.

To do a compression test you must remove all the spark plugs and install a compression gauge to each cylinder and test each cylinder one at a time. Install gauge crank engine over note gauge reading. Remove compression test and move to next cylinder.