Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Did I hurt my 79 150 pro v letting it sit years with ethanol

Customer Question

did I hurt my 79 150 pro v letting it sit for 6 years with ethanol based gas in it?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

No you did not hurt engine. But I would go through the entire fuel system. Rebuild all the carburetors, pump fuel tank, check all the fuel lines for deterioration if it rubs off black or is hard replace it. Then rebuild the fuel pumps. All the rubber based components will fail due to age and the ethanol.

I would also do a spark and compression test. Change the water pump then you should be ready to go boating.

Once you start and run engine you can check the engine for leaks and engine temperature.

Post back with questions and concerns.