Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

1992 88hp spl ran ok went full throttle- died- dosen't want

Customer Question

1992 88hp spl johnson ran ok went full throttle- died- dosen't want to idle or run now. rebuilt fuel pump, replace bad plugs, new fuel line and bulb-now it wont hold fuel pressure in bulb.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

When you say it won't hold pressure in the bulb what is it doing exactly? Are you able to pump and pump without it firming up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sam, yes bulb is new and does pump up very firm then looses prime, this is a houseboat so it is more of a challenge. biggest issue is now it doesnt want to idle or run in gear.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Sam,

If it pumps up firm initially that is all that matters. What you have to do is figure out if this is a mechanical issue, spark issue, or fuel issue. The way to do that would be to check engine compression, and then check spark output with a timing light. Has that been done yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, just replaced plugs, fuel pump kit and fuel line. it started ran but not well. has always started and run fine. seems to be a little rich
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Are you able to check engine compression and spark output, do you have the tools to do those tests?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Without the tools there is no testing that we can do together. Is there some way I can be of help to you? Did you have any generic or specific questions that you wanted me to answer? Or explain how we troubleshoot these in the shop, step by step, covering all bases?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Was there anything else?