Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Have a marine ford 460 with a stuck distributer.

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what you wrote, did you have any general or specific questions that you wanted me to answer? Or did you want me to just start talking?

Is there a story on the engine that I would need to know about? What led you to find the distributor was stuck?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My name is Scott.
Boat is a 93 Chris Craft
Motor is big block ford 460.
Wanted reset timing, engine would not start. Housing broke and it is stuck in engine block. Tried heat/cold and used a gear puller along with a good liquid wrench. No luck
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Scott,

When you say engine would not start? When you turn the key is the engine at least cranking over, or is it locked solid?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
turned over and wanted to start. Issue at hand is distributer is broken and stuck in block. Need advice on how to get it out
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

I am following you, I am just not there in front of the engine so I'm trying to gauge what is going on. Pull the distro cap off. Crank the engine over. Let me know if he rotor spins or not.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The rotor does spin
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

You didn't specify, so I have to ask, you did remove the hold down clamp, yes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

The only thing holding it in is the gear lash. Have you tried pulling the plugs, having a helper rotate it backwards, while you pull up on the distro shaft at the same time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
plugs are out. Housing is broken so turning it doesn't do any good
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Can you turn the rotor shaft itself with vice grips?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tried that hard to get grips on shaft the way it sits down in engine. Have dealt with problem before
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

I don't have any answers other than beat the hell out of it. I will opt out and leave this open to the community. Good luck

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks anyway
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Scott. My name is Tan.

You are going to have to remove the intake manifold to get better access to the distributor. The way the distributor sitsd in the engine you have no leverage to get to the base of the distributor.

Have you pulled the thermostat housing to get at the distributor better?

What has happened is at one time or another the engine has had a leak at the thermostat housing and water leaked down around the distributor causing it to corrode. Access is the key here and with the intake off you can get at the distributor much easier.

Do this and post back with findings.