Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a bayliner 215 capri 2002. Mercrusier 220hp 5.0 Took

Customer Question

hi, I have a bayliner 215 capri 2002. Mercrusier 220hp 5.0 Took boat out for three test drives with buyers last weekend. First test drive fine, second test drive temp light started going on and off I don't know what RPM we were at. Third test drive temp light started coming on an off at full throttle and there was a warning beep/alarm. After backing off RPM's light went off. i am not certain, but i don't think the temp gauge ever got into a danger zone. We were running the NAV lights on the third test run. Boat had been sitting for two years without being run. De-winterized this spring and had mechanic replace impeller to get it ready to sell. Took boat back to mechanic to diagnose. They replaced the impeller (which was fine) with another new one. Then did lake test and could not recreate the problem. They are going to put the computer on it to check codes, but said they won't see any codes unless the heating issue occurs. I am baffled!
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: not that i can think of
JA: Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page where you can book your 1:1 with the Marine Mechanic. I'll share everything we've discussed.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Is the engine acting up now? If the impeller was fine why did they replace it again and now it doesn't over heat.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They did a lake test this morning and could not recreate the issue
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They took it apart again to check and since it was taken apart they put in a new one. Mechanic didn't realize it had been replace two weeks ago
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They ran it for 10 minutes as it was low on fuel
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Then they must of done something they didn't realize they did. I have seen this happen before and it turns out they had a loose hose connection where the engine was sucking air in around the hose causing intermittent heat issues. When they inspected the pump and reassembled they fixed the problem just by reassembling and getting everything tight. This is the only thing that can cause an issue like this when all parts are new.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sort of...but when they tested the first time in the shop everything ran fine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is nothing else that could cause the issue?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
bad sensor, partial clog or something else?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Running in the shop isn't the same. The engine must be under normal operating condition in the water under a load.

A sensor is possible but it isn't acting up now correct?

The only way to find something like this is toi run the engine under normal conditions. It has to be acting up to find. I can guess but that doesn't tell you anything and in the end it has to be acting up.

Could be bad sensor, clog, blocked manifolds or risers. Clogged intake.

Starting off with no problems and getting progressively worse points to a water pump issue. Are all fluid levels up?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sensor did not come on this morning when they test drove for 10 minutes. I believe they have checked all fluid levels and they are fine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I keep wondering if there is an electrical issue since the last time they worked on the boat they did not have the key so they hot-wired by taking the dash apart.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

That would only affect the alarm if it has no voltage to the alarm. When you turn key on does alarm sound momentarily?

The alarm is signaled by a ground from a sensor on the engine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no alarm at startup. was only after running for about 30 minutes and only once. we actually thought it was because the fuel was low...but i don't think there is an alarm for that...just the dashlight
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
light coming on at wide open throttle then going off when backing off. where should temp needle be? RPMs were around 4000
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

No alarm for low fuel.

This engine should run around 170+/-5*F at all rpms.

The alarm should come on momentarily when key is first turned on. This is the self test to let you know the alarm is working.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok so if there is no alarm what does that mean?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Then we need to verify the alarm is getting voltage. If no voltage at alarm key on this would explain why they are not getting an alarm now.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry i don't understand. The alarm is not coming on at start up, but it did come on once during test drive.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

You just got through saying they went through the dash to get engine started. They water tested the boat and got no alarm. Did they disconnect something?

The alarm should always come on momentarily for self test. Does alarm sound when you first turn key on?

Has the alarm ever sounded when you first turned the key on? It is supposed to as this is the self test for the alarm.

We could have an issue with the alarm as being the whole problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi,
I think I am not being clear enough. They went through the dash when it was in the shop the first time they put in a new impeller. I drove boat on three test drive (with key) and temp light came on during second two test drives. Alarm sounded on third drive for a moment. I took the boat back to the shop and told them engine appeared to be overheating at WOT but cooled down at lower RPM's. The second time they replaced the impeller they had the key. Tested in shop and everything was fine. They took it for lake test and everything is fine. Yes I believe in the past the alarm would sound upon start up.Are you saying the alarm not going off at start-up could cause the temp light to come on at WOT?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Is the engine over heating now?

Maybe I don't understand what your looking for here? Is there an issue with the motor now? Does the alarm sound when key is turned on? If no the alarm has a problem. As for the rest of the question what are you looking for?

I can't fix something that isn't broken. I explained why they may have not fixed the issue the first time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No the engine did not overheat this morning when the mechanic lake tested the boat.I am trying to figure out why the temp light came on during test drives and alarm sounded once.And no the alarm is not sounding at start up.I understand the first answer, but am trying to figure out if the problem could be caused by something else?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

This statement here tells me they fixed the engine."No the engine did not overheat this morning when the mechanic lake tested the boat." Have you water tested the boat since they fixed it? If yes then you would have to ask them what they found.

I have no idea what they found.

Anything is possible but if it is fixed now what is the concern. If you want to know what cause the issue ask them they worked on it. All I can do is give possible causes. I have given those.

Here.