Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1989 Bayliner Capri 2.3l with a OMC cobra

Customer Question

Hi i have a 1989 Bayliner Capri 2.3l with a OMC cobra sterndrive. i have lost all power to my ignition switch so i cant turn anything on. Wondering where i should check first? The fuse panel behind the steering wheel all looks good its like i dont have power to there and i have brand new battery. is there some fuse or relay on the engine that could be bad if so where are they located or whats your thought?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no i thinks thats it for now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Does the trim still work on the engine?

Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no trim doesnt work. the key has to be on for that and when i turn key on there is no power. and no i dont have a multimeter but could get one if i needed to probably
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Can you post a pic of the battery top with all wires connected to it. I would like to see what you see.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
alright is this what you wanted?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Yes, that is what I wanted to see. On that smaller red wire, there should be a fuse or a breaker, is that til good?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
well that small red wire goes to a depth finder...and the big one the main power one goes to what im pointing at...
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Power for the boat items goes to the starter solenoid? Than's odd, normally goes to the battery. you are going to need the multimeter to do some testing.