Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

How to I get the trim all the way down seem to stop at 3/4

Customer Question

How to I get the trim all the way down seem to stop at 3/4 way down
Category: Boat
Expert:  HeavyEquipmentTech replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** are you working on? Year make and model?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2005 boat. Pinter Volvo lower unit inboard
Slyvan deck oat. 5.2 motor v8There seems to be some lock on how low I can lower it. Yet the gauge shows I am not all the way down. Also it does not appear visually it is all the way down
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Slyvan deck boat 2005
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Will the drive tilt up? Do you hear the trim motor running?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the trim works up and down I just need to know where the adjustments are to be able to lower it more seems to ha be a lock on lowering
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Does the trim motor quit working when it gets to a certain point of the drive trim 3/4?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It just buzzed indicating it hit the bottom set point I just need to know how to set the trim stop on lowering it
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Does the drive go all the way down? There is no stop this is the purpose of the down relief valve. That is the buzzing sound that is the drive hitting the stop and the valve bypassing pressure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What do I need to do to get it to go lower
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

If the pressure relief valve is buzzing then the drive is down all the way. If it is stuck at 3/4 of the way down you have something wrong with one of the trim rams. Disconnect the trim rams at the rear of the drive now trim the rams all the way down. Do they fully retract?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I bought the boat the dealer said that they can set the trim so it does not go down all the way
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Why would you not want the trim to go down all the way. The boat will not run correctly with drive in that position it won't evn get on plane. Did you do the checks I ask? The dealer is incorrect.

Could I get the model number of your drive please?

The last time I remember a trim limit on Volvo was 1997 and it was to limit up trim only. And these were bypassed and removed as they didn't work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It would work better to pull skiers out of the holeOnce out plane it out
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Tilting the drive up doesn't help with pulling skiers out of the water you want drive all the way down. Id the drive is up any the boat won't get on planes as the bow of the boat will go straight up in the air.