Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

After boat sat while, when I turn key (ignition) I have no

Customer Question

After boat sat for a while, when I turn key (ignition) I have no pwer.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Boat sat for about a year. I have twin fitch 150s. When I turned key to start port engine it fired right up. When I tried starboard engine I had no power at key switch
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

First, make sure that the battery for this engine is fully charged. If so, look on the engine. there are several fuses that could have blown and would cause this problem. If all the fuses are good. Using a multimeter, make sure that you are getting 12V on the back of the key switch on the red wire. Then on the yellow wire when you turn the key to start. If you are not getting anything to the yellow wire, the key switch is bad. If it is getting power, it is either the neutral safety switch in the controls or the starter solenoid.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. I ordered a new ignition switch, then I was out of town for a week. After installing switch, I got power to the switch. In the on position, the lights and gauges went on. When I turned to start, it blew a 20 amp fuse on the power distribution panel.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Disconnect the starter from the relay and see if it still blows. If so, it could be any of the fuel injectors, or the coils, or even the EMM. Shorts in the engine are very tough to locate. Provided that there is not a short in the wiring at the switch.