Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a mercruiser 5.7 with alpha 1 leg 50.1, when I put

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have a mercruiser 5.7 with alpha 1 leg 50.1
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: when I put the boat into gear the prop seems to slow the engine too much I have to have the engine ticking over at 1600 rpm and even at that if I don't rev a little after selecting gear the boat will stall
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: that's it anyone there ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercrusiers are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can run it and look up and see exactly which version of the 5.7 you have.

Next, what is the history on this engine? Have you ever seen it run correctly, or make full power under a load personally?

How old is the fuel?