Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I own a 1985 Christ Craft Cavalar 29 flybridge with twin

Customer Question

I own a 1985 Christ Craft Cavalar 29 flybridge with twin inboards. My problem is with the steering and the rudders. How do I fix my problem without taking the boat out of the water? The steering is very hard.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The first thing we have to do is determine if the steering in the boat is the problem or the rudder. Go to the rudder and disconnect the rudder from the steering. The steering cable will have a clevis on the end of the cable connected to the rudder. Remove the bolt in the clevis. Now turn the steering wheel is the steering easy or hard?

Can you take a picture of the steering cable at the rudder please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have hydraulic steering and went through the procedure to gert any air out of the system. I have since taken the hydraulic ram loose fron the rudders and cannot move them by hand.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can take pictures in the am.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Yes that is fine. With the ram disconnected from the rudders does the steering work easier?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are there any drawings available for this?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok then the issue will be with one of the rudders. Disconnect the tie bar between the 2 rudders and see if one is easier to move than the other.

Has the boat been run aground or hit anything?

No drawing available from Chris Craft.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not to my knowledge. It has mostly been sitting in the water for several years before I got it.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok it could be just the stuffing boxes need to be serviced. This can be done in the water. Lets try to determine if it is just one or both rudders that are causing the stiff steering.

Pictures will help with servicing the rudders.