Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

My 1998 Kawasaki 1100 triple with 90 hrs on it, sucked up a

Customer Question

My 1998 Kawasaki 1100 triple with 90 hrs on it, sucked up a pebble and over heated. The temp light came on and it went into limp mode. I removed the pebble and water seams to be flowing through very well now. Nice and cool at the weep hole. But it will only run at about 1/4 throttle. Then it breaks down like it's in limp mode at all times?
What do next?
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

The first diagnostic test in a situation such as yours is a compression test. This could well be a mechanical problem now created by the previous problem. No matter what it is always prudent to start the diagnostic process of running problems with a compression test. Remember when you are performing the test, ground the spark plug leads (you should see the 3 grounds sticking up on the ignition module box) and make sure you have 2 of the 3 spark plugs installed at all times when performing the test. Hold your throttle wide open while testing as well. Let me know what you find and we can go from there.