Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a Four Winns 238 Vista with Volvo Penta engine and

Customer Question

I have a Four Winns 238 Vista with Volvo Penta engine and outdrive. The shift control cable broke its little plastic piece that is molded around the cable at the control end. The throttle cable like plastic piece is also broke but not yet in two pieces. The cables appears to be the CCX 214 style. Is there any upgrades or ways to keep this from happening. The boat has only 200 hours on it and I shutter to think this will happen every 200 hours.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.
Hi David, my name is Jason. I'm attaching a picture. Is the broken part what I circled in red?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is. Also the plastic bracket it fits into does not capture and when the circled part breaks in half, half falls out and shifting can no longer be done. If captive it could continue to do its job, perhaps.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

What do you mean by capture? There is a cotter pin that is supposed to hold It in place. Is there no cotter pin on yours to hold it in place?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No not at the location discussed. There is a cotter key where the end of the cable connects but not here. The plastic piece that the broken part goes inside of bolts in place. However the top of it is open which allows a broken half of the circled part to fall away, leaving the cable no longer secured.