Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Need to lift off boat 2 Yamaha 150 HPDI's and put them

Customer Question

need to lift off boat 2 Yamaha 150 HPDI's and put them on a little trailer for travel about 3O miles then put them on my boat. I can not trailer my boat or there boat.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Look at the boat as it sits static in the water. If you cannot see all 4 engine mounting bolts, the boat will take on water when the engine is removed and could sink. If you can see the bolts...

You are going to need a lift that has a extendable arm that can also pivot and still safely lift a minimum of 500 lbs. Using the center hook on the engine hook to that first. then disconnect all rigging from the engines. Remove the lower two mounting bolts. Apply slight upward pressure with the hoist system, then remove the upper two mounting bolts. Lift the engine up and pivot it to the shore. Repeat for the other engine. Reinstall in reverse, making sure to use a good quality marine sealer on the blot shanks and the transom to seal it and make it water tight.

The best way to do this is to dry dock both boats next to each other. Locate a marina with a lift system large enough to haul both boats. Then do the swap while they are safely on land.