Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1963 40hp outboard that ran great last year, I just

Customer Question

I have a 1963 40hp Johnson outboard that ran great last year, I just started it for the first time this year and it is only running on one cylinder (the bottom one ) what can I do ?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also changed the plugs and checked the spark , it seems to have good spark to that plug
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This engine has points ignition with coils under the flywheel. I would start with changing the points and condenser. If still no spark then replace the ignition coils.

The points run about OE $13.00 a set. Sierra $8.00 a set. Requires 2 sets. The condenser OE $7.00 dollars each Sierra $4.30. Then the ignition coil OE $23.43, Sierra $19.80.

So these are not that expensive due to the age of the engine I would replace points, condenser and coils.

Here is a link to parts. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1963&hp=40&model=RD-25&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Magneto+Group

Post back with questions.