Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1997 Mercury Outboard. Over the past 3 seasons, the

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Mercury Outboard. Over the past 3 seasons, the motor will periodically shutdown after running for periods of time. For example, Saturday the motor started fine, fuel tank was full, oil reservoir 3/4 full. Started and turned off the ignition several times over 5 hours of fishing. Tried starting after 20 minutes off and motor would not start. After 1/2 hour of rest, the motor started right up. Just before I was back at the dock, running slow, motor quit and I was unable to start. The battery is fully charged, fuel filter changed over winter. Marina mechanic tried several things last year including installing new wires.
Is this a common problem for older 115's. Is there a solution? The motor has been professionally maintained and never abused since it was purchased new in 1997. The motor has only been run in saltwater. Appreciate any help
Thank you,
Bob
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello Bob. My name is Tan.

Have you checked for spark when this happens? The most common thing is fuel starvation or ignition failure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tan
Sounds like what the mechanic tried including changing spark plugs. Are there questions I should be asking the mechanic? Last year, I put over three hundred dollars into what I believed was the solution. I ran the boat 3 times this year, with no issues. Saturday, the problem re-occurred .
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ask him if he checked for fuel starvation? Did he check for spark when the engine was acting up?

Did he run the engine on a different fuel source to eliminate the boat side fuel system?

Sounds like a fuel issue.

What did he do to resolve the issue? Get him to explain what he did and why?