Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1997 Mercury Outboard. Over the past 3 seasons, the

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Mercury Outboard. Over the past 3 seasons, the motor will periodically shutdown after running for periods of time. For example, Saturday the motor started fine, fuel tank was full, oil reservoir 3/4 full. Started and turned off the ignition several times over 5 hours of fishing. Tried starting after 20 minutes off and motor would not start. After 1/2 hour of rest, the motor started right up. Just before I was back at the dock, running slow, motor quit and I was unable to start. The battery is fully charged, fuel filter changed over winter. Marina mechanic tried several things last year including installing new wires.
Is this a common problem for older 115's. Is there a solution? The motor has been professionally maintained and never abused since it was purchased new in 1997. The motor has only been run in saltwater. Appreciate any help
Thank you,
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello Bob. My name is Tan.

Have you checked for spark when this happens? The most common thing is fuel starvation or ignition failure.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sounds like what the mechanic tried including changing spark plugs. Are there questions I should be asking the mechanic? Last year, I put over three hundred dollars into what I believed was the solution. I ran the boat 3 times this year, with no issues. Saturday, the problem re-occurred .
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ask him if he checked for fuel starvation? Did he check for spark when the engine was acting up?

Did he run the engine on a different fuel source to eliminate the boat side fuel system?

Sounds like a fuel issue.

What did he do to resolve the issue? Get him to explain what he did and why?