Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2008 volvo penta 5.7gxi-H that cranks but will not

Customer Question

I have a 2008 volvo penta 5.7gxi-H that cranks but will not start. we have verified fuel pressure and it has spark. it will start if you pour gas down teh throttle body. It does get a 5v reference from the ign module to the ecm once the coil starts to fire the ign. I have 12 v on teh positive side of the injectors. I have checked ground sources from the ecm plug to grd. I do not get a light pulse when cranking with an injector test light.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: The weekend before it ran fine for over three hours of running and about ten starts
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Realisitcally speaking you need a scan tool if you want to troubleshoot this engine on your own. Did you have any kinds of questions that I could help you with?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am waiting for an adapter for a scan tool. You may not be able to help me. I have acces to another volvo penta with a 5.7 GI 300 that uses the same ecm type (EGC) but not the same part number. I can plug my ecm into his harness in less than 20 seconds. If his boat fires the injectors when mine does not can I not assume that the ecm is the problem?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I wouldn't swap ECM's until you've at least hooked a scan tool up to it. The reason being is lets say this one is worst case scenario and the engine has some kind of short circuit in the harness that has shorted and ruined the ECM as well, if you swap ECM's you could end up frying that ECM as well. You would be sitting there with 2 friend ECM's. It is one of those once in a blue moon type of scenario's, but I have seen shorts in harness's fry ECM's. So I would not personally do it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not really what I asked but ill just wait for the scan tool adapter.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

okay