Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 115 yamahaa that the swivel is not frozen but very

Customer Question

Hey Jeff, I have a 115 yamahaa that the swivel is not frozen but very hard to turn-the steering cable is fine-I have tried heat and wd and master blater around top and bottom of swivel-have heated tube area with torch but still turns hard-do I need to take it to a mechanic to replace or do you have any suggestions-tried removing zerk and master blasting but to no avail
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

What year is the engine?

With the steering cable disconnected from the engine it moves freely?

Seems like you have done what we would do. It may be filled with corrosion and rust. a disassembly of the swivel bracket is the next move. This entails removing the lower unit and powerhead then disassemble the midsection. You'll need a service manual for the job.

When you squeeze grease in the grease fitting does it come out of the top or bottom or both?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think the engine is a 92-I found only one zerk fitting and the when I greased it the grease comes out the zerk not the top or bottom
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately there are bushings and rubber seals in the swivel bracket. So too much heat will damage them. Most grease guns will put more than 1000# ***** into the fitting. Try using a small tool to make sure the ball in the zerk isn't frozen. Push the grease gun on real hard a try again. You need to force grease in there and get the old grease out. If not then disassembly is the only other option.